Friday, February 7, 2020

Cross the Border

Earlier this week I had the pleasure of casting another game from my Hall of Shame. Clean up your desk Borderlands 2, you're out of here!

Original image located here. Accessed 7th February 2020

According to my Steam profile, twenty five of my friends have this game - so to say that it is one of the bestselling games of the last couple of years is an understatement to say the least.

But who would dare challenge a statement? From the view of the outside looking in, there has been much said about this game: It has plenty of personality, the combat is intense, there's some decent writing and colorful characters, there's a villain you'd love to hate, this game gets so much right that it renders it's predecessor obsolete.
For me, having played this game all the way to the end credits, I can safely say that everything I'd heard was 100% true. This game was a fun ride balancing humor, quotable lines, the atmosphere of traversing a ruined world and some truly intense battle sequences (least not the final boss battle).
One can always tell when a lot of passion has been put into getting a game together and this is indeed one such case.

Funny thing though: I did enjoy Borderlands 2 but that enjoyment came from playing with some friends. I can imagine that playing it by one's self would yield a different experience but, for some reason, I'm not about to try. No doubt such a move will challenge my enjoyment of this game but, at the same time, I know very well when one needs to walk away.

But ultimately, who would dare challenge this game's status? Not me that's for sure.

I must be getting soft in my old age.

No comments:

Post a Comment