Monday, February 17, 2020

Lazing around

Here's another gaming advertisement I recall from the early nineties. A game entitled Laser Invasion that originally appeared on the NES:


 Original image located here. Accessed 17th February 2020

From what I could gather, this game was trying to merge three genres into one. Of course many games attempted such a move in the era and in this case, we have a flight sim, a gallery shooter and an early attempt at a first person shooter. It is incredibly ambitious - moreso considering that this is on the humble NES and at a time when the 16-bit era was already in full swing.

But this ad sticks out in my mind as it puzzled me: What on earth was a Helijet? Was it some weird hybrid of an attack helicopter and a jet fighter? The thing in the ad looks very unfamiliar to me - is it a real thing?

No comments:

Post a Comment