Monday, April 21, 2014

Steam Inaction

Here's a theory I came across: As Steam has so many games that are readily available and for real cheap, the Steam user would actually spend more time collecting games than actually playing them.
Put simply: The Steam user will always have 36% of the games in their library unplayed.

So how does my Steam library look next to this theory? Well, at time of writing, I have 40 games. Half of which are unplayed. While that is far from the proposed 36% it does raise the question of why some games are unplayed. Well takes a look at some the games I have in my Steam library and try find an explanation or two as to why they've gone untouched:

Analogue: a Hate Story
I was curious about this game largely to it's reputation in having a strong narrative. However after I made the purchase, I found out it was a game made by a lesbian for the LBGT community - which kinda made me situated outside the intended audience. Oh well...

Counter-Strike (with Condition Zero)
Purchased purely on the grounds that this seems to be one of those games that every PC owner has to have. At least I take comfort in knowing I got it on sale...

Enclave
Purchased largely out of me having the discount coupon.

Half Life (with Blue Shift and Opposing Force)
Purchased purely on the grounds that this seems to be one of those games that every PC owner has to have.

Hamilton's Great Adventure
Again, purchased largely out of me having the discount coupon (hey can you say no to a 90% discount?!).

Larva Mortus
Again, purchased largely out of me having the discount coupon

Left 4 Dead 2
In a case of being in the right place at the right time, I have those purely out of being offered as a freebie  one time

Papers Please
Heard it was awesome but have yet to get around to playing it...

Psychonauts
Again, purchased largely out of me having the discount coupon

Quake (with Ground Zero and The Reckoning)
Again, purchased purely on the grounds that this seems to be one of those games that every PC owner has to have. Mind you, i did play this a lot back in the day most likely I'll have a tough time taking it seriously now....

Sid Meier's Civilisation 4
Because when you buy the PC verison, for some reaosn you get the Mac version as well for some reason

Sid Meier's Civilisation 5
Unplayed largely due to it's reputation for being forever doomed to remain in it's predecessors' shadow

Looking back at what I've written, it seems a pattern has emerged: A large number of the games mentioned above have been purchased out of obligation. So is this is where gaming is headed? A sense of obligation? Where owning big library is more important than making use of it's contents? Where by making sure you use one product (however so) to a point where all else is of little consequence (World of Warcraft anyone?)?

No comments:

Post a Comment