Monday, January 17, 2011

Us vs Them

Last week I made a post about World of Warcraft. Since then a friend (who is a WOW enthusiast) pointed out a flaw: There really is no such thing as good/bad in WOW. Thus it is not unheard of for the alliance to do bad things and the Horde to do good things. It's all in shades of grey - which, ironically, was the very thing I was championing in my post.
Well, I certainly feel like an ass but I guess it doesn't matter seeing as no one is really reading this blog anyway.

Still, it is kinda easy to make that assumption of Alliance/Good and Horde/Bad. After all, the titles say nothing of the ambiguity that the factions actually commit through their actions.
True, these factions have been the same since the first incarnation of Warcraft - thus establishing a sense of familiarity - but in the time since Warcraft 1&2, the distinctions between 'good' and 'evil' have become blurred and the mistake of assumption is far from surprising. Maybe such an assumption is why some people find the Horde more appealing than the Alliance.

I don't know: Would it have made a difference if Blizzard just went with 'Those guys' versus 'Those guys'?

1 comment:

  1. well said, I find it very hard to believe that a Tauren who uttered something like 'Praise the Earth Mother' can be said to be evil...

    ReplyDelete