Friday, April 18, 2014

The Final Frontier

Recently I've been having a go at Star Trek Online.

So far it's proving to be a compelling game. It does what I want a Star Trek game to do with traversing through the galaxy, building up a crew and going through missions presented in an episodic format. The latter deserves special notice: I like how the game remains true to it's TV roots with each expansion being a new 'season' and each mission having it's own title card. It's a clever approach and certainly goes a long way to give Star Trek Online a sense of it's own identity.

Also of note is that this is my first time doing a FTP MMORPGer (damn abbreviations!). It certainly makes a change when I was playing a WoW in that by not having a subscription I don't have a sense of commitment to the game. Which in turn assists in me actually enjoying game.
Still, some exchange of money is required and it is here that I have an issue with - certain things are proving costly. I don't mind paying for Borg crew members or for a Federation Klingon PC but I do object to paying so much for a particular crew member. According to the Earth dock, you need 240 purple things (whatever they're called) to purchase a new crew member. And for 114 of these purple things you spending an excess of over $100! That is indeed a bit much.

Still this is only but the beginning and it would be interesting to see how things go from here....

No comments:

Post a Comment