Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Aspects of Love

Has anyone out there ever heard of a game called Aspect Warrior?

When I was in High School I was keen on Warhammer 40,000. Like many teenage geek guys, this was a big deal with this compelling sci-fi setting and some truly great miniatures. Of course, the Warhammer 40,000 of today is a completely different beast than that of 2nd edition (1993-1997) and the stupidly high cost of miniatures is enough to drive anyone away but I have kept an interest of developments within the universe that is the 41st millennium.

Anyway, it was during this time that I once saw an article in a gaming magazine talking about a game called Aspect Warrior. I may not have had a good enough look at the article in question but I did see the title and screenshot of what appeared to be an Eldar Swooping Hawk rendered in 16-bit graphics.

So what happened to this game? I know that the Games Workshop have produced several computer games based on their own games so it seems strange that this game would disappear completely from view. For the longest time I had the view that this game was a fan-creation that the Games Workshop, whom are notorious for hanging onto their trademarks with an iron grip, stomped out of existence.

But in researching this post, I have found the answer: There was indeed a game called Aspect Warriors and it was based on a license granted by the Games Workshop. It was developed by EA, it was made for the Sega Megadrive and was intended to be an action game where the player controls three of the Aspect Warriors that the Eldar are known for. However, for some reason or another, the game was cancelled.

What could've been eh?

Source: Sega Retro

2 comments:

  1. I have no experience with gaming...my brother however is very very similar to yourself: loving the field and spending much time with friends gaming. Infact he has made life long friends through this activity!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A game in which you control Eldar Aspect Warriors would've been awesome!

    ReplyDelete