Monday, January 30, 2012

The Devil Woman

I recently came across something I'd seen months earlier:



When I first saw this ad I had yet to play WoW. But through being an avid viewer of the marvelous TV show The Gruen Transfer, I'd developed a critical eye towards advertising. So I put it to use with this ad.
And I have to say, this ad may be designed to be funny but I don't find it funny. If anything, it presents a rather uncomfortable scenario: What we have here is a relationship where the guy is doing something decent but the girl is continually being the bad guy: She rejects what could've been a thoughtful gift but when she neglects her boyfriend and subsequently confronted about it, she gives him the flick. Riiiiiiiiiiiight. If an ad exists to entice newcomers to a product then this doesn't do it - it comes across more awkward than engaging.

In the time since I first saw this ad I have started playing WoW which opens a up a new perspective as a player. Firstly, one common criticism about WoW is that it ruins social lives - one would think Blizzard would try and make an effort to challenge this notion but what this ad seems to do is reinforce it.
And whilst WoW may not be a substitute for one's social life, it does however present an excellent social activity. As I've found it's great to run around and both interact do quests with other people. A strength yes but this ad doesn't touch that, instead suggesting that if you play WoW you're a lonely misanthropic.
But what is particularly interesting is that this ad suggests that WoW destroys relationships. Again I call BS: I've heard of couples who play WoW together as a couple activity. In the ad, for all we know, the boyfriend could've been trying to get his crabby girlfriend into something he'd thought she'll like. It also raises the question that if the relationship was in a problematic state, why didn't they both start playing WoW together?

Some might say I'm taking this too seriously and over-analyzing this ad but consider this: If this ad doesn't make me want to play WoW then something has gone drastically wrong.
Oh and the Ozzy Osbourne ad was heaps more fun.

2 comments:

  1. yeah I hadn't seen that ad before, its a pretty shit ad lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just watched the Ozzy Osbourne ad that was hilarious :D

    ReplyDelete