Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Prince Megahit

I was expecting that last post to inspire a tsunami of disgust and contempt - but none such came. Somehow, it seems strangely disappointing.

Anyway, here's something I came across recently: Footage of the Commodore 64 version of the original Prince of Persia:



I heard about a C64 conversion of Prince of Persia about twenty years ago: back then the C64 was slowly on the way out but I knew of Prince of Persia and was kinda excited about it. Of course, the conversion was started but never showed up - and it is only now, as in the past twelve months, that the someone has finally completed the game and unleashed on an unsuspecting world.

Looking at the video itself - I'm....astonished. I was a loyal C64 user for many years but seeing this I never knew the C64 could produce something like this. Sure there were some great games on the C64 that involved the system being pushed to the limit (the Last Ninja series comes to mind) but this is staggering. I said last week in my assessment of Double Dragon that the C64 was capable of so much better and here is all the proof I'll ever need.
It goes to show that sometimes great games can come out of an then aging system being squeezed for every last ounce of oomph (see: God of War and Chrono Trigger for other examples)

No comments:

Post a Comment