Monday, January 10, 2011

Apocalypse Now!

I've always had an interest in post-apocalypse scenarios. You know, the kind popularized by the Mad Max movies: Civilization has been irrevocably ruined, resources are now few in number, Technological advancements have lost all sense of meaning and the sense that one is left all on their own. I like seeing how the people within these scenarios need to improvise in order to continue surviving using scraps of technology. I like seeing the planet wasted into a desert environment. I like seeing how people try to salvage scraps of pre-apocalypse civilization in order to make soemthing of it. I like the idea of being the only humans for miles, allies are few in number and the baddies are legion. Most importantly, I like the idea that humans are all alone on a seemingly empty world.

Now this post is not to decree my fear and disgust of other human beings - far from it. The post-apocalypse scenario works for me is the idea that identity has collapsed and a new one needs to sought after. Also, it is a challenge to the writer to come up with something using the limits that the scenario demands.

Surely this scenario can provide a challenge for game developers?

Seriously, I enjoy games where the player is placed in a position of isolation. I've found that such an environment can establish an emotional resonance with the player and can create a genuine element of surprise/fear when something unexpected happens. For a game to pull that off is a feat indeed.
I recall particular moments in Mass Effect when you go down to a planet, you find an abandoned encampment (or something) and no sign of any other kind of life for miles. And all you hear in the background is the wind blowing. It's moments like these that create a well-executed sense of unease.
It makes you wonder why someone takes the sense of unease and take it to greater heights

I remember in 2009, seeing the trailer for the as yet unreleased game Edges of Twilight. In the terms of establishing a post-apocalypse scenario, this in my mind seems to push the right buttons:



Sadly, footage of the game itself points to yet another action game in the God of War vein.
Which, to me, represents a lost opportunity.
Personally, I've always felt the post-apocalypse scenario could make for an interesting spin on RTS games. Think about it! You're fighting for continued survival (or delaying death if you prefer), you are out seeking resources on a planet where few may be left, you're constructing buildings and armaments using scraps of materials and, with the sense of isolation, the sense of alarm from being unexpectedly attacked can be pushed to the extreme.

Sadly a risk is still a risk - and few are taken in a money driven industry.

No comments:

Post a Comment