Friday, January 21, 2011

First In, Best Dressed

They say you always remember the first game you ever played. I however beg to differ: I started gaming at a young age and, as a result, it is difficult to pinpoint WHAT was the first game I ever played.
So, whilst I can't recall exactly what the first game I ever played was, I do however have some likely candidates:

(treasure game)
This may be the very first game (computer or console) I ever played - but I am reluctant to count it as I've forgotten it's name! Still, I do remember it well: I played this game on the Commodore 64 and it, although basic, involved the player exploring a series of islands to find a treasure chest. Along the way, a great deal of exploration is involved, with the player discovering items - some necessary to solve problems - and evading a sea monster. Again this sounds incredibly basic but, for a young lad, this was awesome indeed.

Pitfall! 2
I have fond memories of playing this on the Atari 2600 - in retrospect it was everything a sequel should be: outclassing the predecessor in every possible way. Indeed, I found it very hard to go back to the original after playing Pitfall 2. Plus, I do recall Pitfall 2 has having the very first tune I committed to memory.

Super Mario Brothers
I recall my brother inviting his friend round with his NES. Along the games he had, was Super Mario Brothers. It must've made quite an impression on me because I'm still playing it now! Which goes to show that a great game shall forever remain a great game.

No comments:

Post a Comment