Friday, March 22, 2013

Plato they say / Could stick it away

I may have returned to World of Warcraft but that doesn’t mean I can’t find the time to strike another game down from my Hall of Shame. And which title is out on their arse this time around? None other than Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis!


 As is often the case with the games I play, this is a game that I’ve waited a long time to play. I was keen on it when I first heard about in the early nineties (!!!) but it is only now that I’ve managed to sit down and have a crack at it. For a while I was beginning to worry that this game would forever be out of my reach but lo and behold it showed up on Steam (seems like signing up for it wasn’t really a bad idea).

Of course, saying I beat Fate of Atlantis doesn’t mean I am completely finished with the game itself when there are multiple paths through the game. Yes I beat the game (on the Wits path for the curious) but someday I will return to this game and try a different path. For now though there isn't much I can say about this game that hasn't already been said before: The writing is top notch and the design invested into elevates this game head and shoulders above a lot of other games in the adventure genre (seems the two years of development was truly worth it). The graphics hold up pretty well and the voice acting is great too. I went into this game with very expectations and needless to say I wasn't disappointed.

Ultimately though, this game may well be the endpoint for my interest in the LucasArts Point and Click Adventure games. I've been playing a lot of them over the past few months and I'm at a point where it may be time to try something new. Still, in my mind, playing these games have been a point of reassurance to me: For one, it proved to me that LucasArts could make something without the Star Wars brand. For two, it proved to me that LucasArts could take a risk with making a wide range of new IP. And for three, it proved to me that there certainly was a lot of creativity going on in that think-tank.
Of course, LucasArts is now owned by Disney. So not only does the House of Mouse has ownership to Star Wars but access to a incredibly rich library of games. Indeed it would be interesting to see what they will do next with it....

No comments:

Post a Comment