Wednesday, March 13, 2013

I'll tell you when I've had enough

Inspired by my recent posting of the behemoth that is my games collection, I was inspired to add more of these titles to my Raptr account. Thus my game total on Raptr stands, at time of writing, at 182.
An impressive figure to be sure but it does raise a question: How big can a gaming collection get before it becomes too much to handle? When does a gaming collection get to the point where no games whatsoever are actually getting played? My current game total has nearly doubled in size from my original plan to hunt down a particular hundred but it's come to a point where it's more about the collection than the games itself.
Hardly a good a sign.
Of course it all comes down to how much time can be invested in playing so many games - and in my case I've got far too many games and staring down a incalculable amount of time that is required to get through them all. Indeed, I can only wonder how Bajo and Hex can, on a regular basis, get through so many games, still keep a fresh perspective on them AND still whip out a weekly TV show.

But I digress. It's baffling, at least to me, how my game collection ballooned to a point where it's about the games and not actually playing them. So, in an attempt to find some answers, I used Excel to make a tally of the games I've purchased from a particular date (in this case it was January 2009 when I had a PC and a Playstation) and the source of the games in question.

The result is as follows:


So what does this tell us? Well it is unsurprisingly to see large numbers with two completely new consoles (in this case the Wii and Xbox 360) but perhaps the main offender is, of course, digital distribution: A means where many games, from no matter what their era, are easily available, can be purchased & ready to play within moments and being far, far more cheaper than games available in a store.

But to me it is yet another reminder that my Hall of Shame isn't going to go away anytime soon.
Oh well....

No comments:

Post a Comment