Friday, August 19, 2011

Degeneration (no.7)

And now we reach what could be the conclusion of this series. And where else could we go to but the current generation?

Nintendo Wii
Whilst I got my PS2 when the sixth generation was shuffling to an end, I was aware of the arrival of the next generation. Although I was far more concerned with my PS2, I did however become aware of the developments within the new generation: The hardware failures that plagued the 360 and the PS3 snubbing off backward compatibility. With such foolish moves, neither option seemed appealing to me. And then came along the old warhorse Nintendo: They came forward with their new console and the promise of having their old games from their previous consoles available for download. And from that moment on, it was all over for me. Of course there was some nonsense about motion controls but what did I care?



In fact that pretty much says it all for my experiences with my Wii: All the games I got for it were all for the Virtual Console (as well as a few Gamecube titles too). Sure I have a few Wii games sitting on the shelf but the number of games, and the hours spent playing them, is far outpaced by the ratio of games/hours invested in the Virtual Console. It may sound peculiar to have my eyes focused on the past but what do I care? Many of the games I downloaded for the Virtual Console are all games I enjoyed before or some that I missed out on the first time around. My goal to hunt down the IGN 100 best games got a shot in the arm and to have those games preserved and readily available is a coup to Nintendo. In fact I swear I’m not the only one who got their Wii just for the sole purpose of playing Virtual Console games (even if Nintendo seem reluctant to admit it).

But I’ve said plenty about the Virtual Console before in this blog so what about the actual Wii console itself? Well, take away the Virtual Console and all that’s left is an abundance of mixed feelings: Sure Super Mario Galaxy and Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess have held up well but beyond those two one would be hard-pressed to think up a game that defined the console. Indeed much of the Wii games were either shovelware, total tripe or split opinion (ie Metroid Other M, Super Smash Bros Brawl and Super Mario Galaxy 2). Were the developers even trying?

As for the motion controls, I’m not sure I see the point. Whilst it may have worked, Wii Sports being one such example, it does take away one of the fundamental connections between player and game. Jumping around to play games can be fun but it’s still no substitute for lounging on the couch with controller in hand. I heard Nintendo aren’t interested in competing with Sony and Microsoft in the hardware stakes so instead they’re looking to try new ways to play games. An admirable intention yes but I’m far from calling it a successful one.
So in the end, the Nintendo Wii, for me, is pretty much the thing that played Virtual Console games. So I guess this is where the long term affair with Nintendo ultimately led to: Eyes on the past glories with little concern to anything new on offer. So whilst the Wii may have kept Nintendo afloat it would be interesting to see what they come up with next. Sure I don’t have high hopes of the Wii-U but Nintendo have proven there is still life in the old dog yet. So what will do they do now?

Xbox 360
So with the Nintendo Wii being used for anything but Wii games how did I feel about the rivals? Well my long-time love with Playstation came to an abrupt end with Sony fiercely decreeing the PS3 to be non-backward compatible. And, like any spurned lover I packed up shop and moved away, never looking back once. So where to then? Well, to the third contender.



I still had my games I got to use on Kathleen’s Xbox so the gravitation towards the 360 seemed somewhat natural. Due to fracas over the hardware failures and the Red Ring of Death, I was skeptical at first but then along came a little came called Dragon Age Origins – and in an instant, whatever reservations I may have had, were immediately cast aside.

So yes, the 360 was my console of the seventh generation. As well as Dragon Age Origins, other games I enjoyed on the 260 included Rock Band 3, Red Dead Redemption and Mass Effect 1+2. All great games in their own right but one thing I truly loved were the online capabilities of the 360. Sure the Wii had Virtual Console games ready for download but the 360 had the possibility to befriend other 360 users, dashboard decorations, lists to compare achievements and a wealth of DLC/expansions for games. And there were the achievements: An opportunity to provide evidence of doing something cool. I was skeptical at first as the achievements meant nothing beyond bragging rights but damn, it never gets dull comparing achievements with friends and gloating over the ones they haven’t got.

Conclusion
And that’s pretty much my lot on the seventh generation. True there isn’t a really lot to say about it as we’re still in the middle of it (for however much longer) but it is interesting to see that this is the conclusion (for the time being at least) of a journey that began over two decades ago.

I have grown up with gaming and it’s been interesting to see points of my life occur alongside the history of this medium. It’s is also interesting to see how gaming has evolved and which gaming technology has endured the test of time – more so when one considers that this is a field where things grow obsolete at such a breathless, and indeed alarming, rate.

True I may have been flexible in my loyalties but what do I care? Yes it can’t be denied that gaming loyalties are something you’re stuck with for life and must be defended to the end, but I disagree. You see, my gaming loyalties are to the games themselves – no better exemplified than my constant jumping from Sega to Nintendo to Sony and Microsoft. If a game looks good and shows promise then I will play it – why should I miss out? I don’t recall it being a law that you must like one or the other.
So do I like Sega, Nintendo, Sony or Microsoft? Answer: Yes.

Anyway, to wrap this up it’s been fun writing out this little recollection. I hope you enjoyed reading it. Until next time….

No comments:

Post a Comment