Monday, November 1, 2010

Adventures in cosplay (no.1)

I haven't talked much about cosplay in this blog. So why not? I like gaming and I like cosplay so there's no reason why I shouldn't talk about it. After all, this is my blog and I can do what I damn well like with it, dragging all my readers along for the ride whether they like it or not.

So for this month of November I'm going to make a series: Every Monday I'm going to pick out a particular cosplay I've done and wax lyrical about it.

I've enjoyed cosplay - it's fun to dress up and take on the persona of your favourite character. What's particularly sweet is that I have a cosplay partner in crime - and not just any partner. Yes, as I found out, cosplay is actually a really good way to develop a romance. My partner and I have cosplayed romantic couples in the past and it works because we're a real couple - it shows at cons and so forth and it's become a really big hit with the attendees who constantly collar us for photos. :)

So to kick off this series, I present one cosplay I did back in 2008: Cloud Strife from Final Fantasy 7.



I can't say I'm part of the fervent fanbase that keeps Final Fantasy VII alive much longer than the average video game but I've played it and found some enjoyment out of it. But what's even more surprising is whilst Cloud isn't my favorite character this came about because I liked Aerith and wanted my partner Kathleen to cosplay as her - and she only agreed to it provided I cosplay as Cloud. So Cloud it was then.

Much of this was purchased: The outfit was purchased, the ribbon and even the Buster sword. The boots were provided by me from a previous cosplay as was the wig. Unfortunately, on the day that these photos were taken, time restraints meant that the wig was unable to be styled.

This was worn on a day out in Melbourne with some other cosplayers. This proved to be quite a hit and some of the cosplayers were impressed with the Buster sword. In addition the inclusion of the glasses went over well too.
Unlike a lot of my other cosplays, this was easy to move around in and didn't disintegrate as the day wore on. It particularly amusing to enter a video store, with Aerith in tow, and having one of the staff there recognize us immediately.

So at the end of the day, this was fun to do and it was great to have a cosplay remain in one piece all throughout the day. I got some sweet recognition for it and an Aerith too :D



Who's the boss eh?

Anyway, that's enough for today. Come back next Monday where more Adventures in cosplay await...

No comments:

Post a Comment