Friday, August 8, 2014

Not so Keen

Another game has been cast down from my Hall of Shame - Funny how completing one game inspires you to beat some more.
Anywho, this time it's the Steam release of the Commander Keen Complete pack!


I remember the Commander Keen games when I was a kid - Somehow if you had a PC you had this game (as in at least one of the installments of Invasion of Vorticons). Indeed, I recall being impressed that everyone had this game in one form or another.
It has to be said though that this game has not aged well: I recall the Commander Keen being a big deal because it provided platform action on the PC at a time when the PC was not known for such games - however more importantly, at least for me, was that the game had a sense of personality.
Years later, I see more than a few problems. The difficulty is tough, even to the point where the games commit the ultimate sin of bullshit deaths. Still the games are short and there are plenty of goodies to collect for points and build up many lives - maybe that's why the difficulty is tough but you never know...

Strangely though, I recall enjoying Keen 1-3 but never 4. Maybe there was something about the art direction that I found somewhat hideous. Did I find it glaring when I was used to something more simplistic? Perhaps - but it is funny that whilst I hated the graphics in 4 I did enjoy the similar graphics in Keen Dreams. Work that one out...

And speaking of which, where is Keen Dreams? And Keen 6 (Aliens Ate My Babysitter)? You call yourself a Complete Pack?!

No comments:

Post a Comment