Friday, August 1, 2014

A Space Big Enough For Any Criminal to Hide In

Lets not beat around the bush: I'm excited for Elite Dangerous and am looking forward to getting my claws on it.

One thing though: It's taken the form of an MMO - meaning I'll be sharing playing space with a whole lot of other players.
What I find particularly interesting about this is based on my experiences with the original Elite: As I recall, the player could build up a criminal record through trading illegal materials (ie slaves and firearms). And at the same time, the player could also make some money through hunting down criminals and claiming a bounty.

So thus lies in the potential for MMO players to engage criminal activities and build up a bounty big enough to gain attention from other players. It sounds like a clever idea to deal with troublemakers that MMOs always attract but then again, if you have a bounty then one would need the biggest, most powerful ship they can acquire (a challenge most people would see as one worth rising up to).

Of course, all this is just speculative so it would be interesting to see how it comes about in the finished product.

No comments:

Post a Comment