Friday, August 29, 2014

Rise of the Guardians

Another game has been struck from my Hall of Shame: Guardian Heroes!


It's difficult to call this one completed: I may have unlocked five of the seven endings but I've unlocked all the characters so that's close enough.

So what can I say about this game that I haven't before? Well it's interesting to see this game from the perspective of time. I didn't play this game during the Saturn era and I am only playing this game for the first time and from a modern perspective.
And the game is a lot of fun: I did enjoy brawlers back in the day and I enjoyed the art style, multiple planes, and story mode. Of particular note is how Guardian Heroes does a lot of things differently with the brawler genre that one can only wonder why it hadn't been thought of before - or how you, the player ever got by without such changes.
Okay so some of the boss fights were annoying with them laying the smackdown without giving me a chance to fight back - but it is an amusing thought to think that whilst I'm spamming attacks, the guy on the other side of the TV screen is doing the exact same thing.

Also of note is how this game's DNA has been utilized with games that have come since. I see the gorgeous anime-style artwork (which still holds up really well today mind you) and I think of the similar art style in Guilty Gear. I see the then innovative use of branching paths and RPG elements and I think of Castle Crashers (I wonder of the makers of Castle Crashers made their game based on the annoyance of not having Guardian Heroes readily available?).

All in all, Guardian heroes was a lot of fun and I sincerely hope Sega take notice to a point where they make more games from their catalog readily available.

No comments:

Post a Comment