Friday, June 6, 2014

Perfect Blue

According to my Steam profile I have, at time of writing, notched up seven perfect games. This means, for the uninitiated, that I have scored all the achievements that came attached to the game.

Not a bad feat I have to say.

This in turn makes an interesting contrast to the XBLA achievements: I have plenty of XBLA achievements to my name but no perfect games to speak of. What does this mean? Are the XBLA achievements too demanding? Or are the Steam achievements easier to get?

I think the Steam achievements are indeed easier to get – why, To the Moon has a grand total of one achievement and that is for beating it, thus setting up a perfect game in the bag. That is not to say that the Steam has its own share of demanding achievements – there’s plenty of Age of Empires 2 achievements that require fighting a thousand battles – but I have found that many Steam achievements require less effort than many XBLA achievements. Why is this so? One would think that the Steam achievements would offer some kind of fighting chance instead of being near impossible. And when a game offers an achievement that actually seems feasible of scoring, one would gravitate to the game and the platform it is offered upon. After all, if a game is worth the trouble of getting a perfect rating then it must be a pretty awesome game, right?

Still, there’s no way I’ll be fighting a thousand battles in Age of Empires 2. I do have a life you know…


No comments:

Post a Comment