Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Doomed from the start

These past few weeks I've been playing a lot of Doom, 1 and 2, largely through the enhancement lens provided by the Brutal Doom mod.
However, whilst I've gushed about the dramatic changes Brutal Doom offers, it doesn't however change one pet peeve I've had with Doom. It's a problem I had twenty years ago and it still bothers me now - and that;s the stupid level design. There are places that are inaccessible and stuff that's near impossible to find.
And I feel this problem was ramped up in Doom 2 - Whilst I was able to get 100% kills and secrets on every level in Doom 1, in Doom 2 I missed more than a few. Yes it may provide a challenge but there were times when I'd been over the same level several times to a point where I felt I was being trolled by the game designers.

Still, in a world clogged with ultra-serious shooters, there's something to be said for a twenty-year old shooter that has enough 'goin' desperado' clout to hold appeal even now

No comments:

Post a Comment