Monday, October 7, 2013

A Crown for a King

Recently I’ve been having a binge on the Age of Empires 2: Age of Kings HD version.

I’ve been hearing some bad things about this revamp, what with the proposed HD revamp results in graphics not looking much different, stupid achievements, much of the additions already done (and better) by the modding community and the entire package not being worth the price. Well I was lucky enough to get my version of Age of Kings HD at a decent price through a Steam sale. Of course there is a sense of bitterness to learn later that there is a healthy mod community and the Conquerors going for cheap on ebay but no matter: I’m satisfied with my purchase and at least having Age of Kings on Steam means I don’t have to go hunting for fan-made updates to keep it working. Or pull out the CD every time I want to play it.

Still at least having the Steam version allows me access to the Conquerors expansion for the first time. And I find it interesting that there are achievements listed for the Wonder Race. Funnily enough I figured that when it comes to RTS games, I figured everyone would be more interested in building an army and destroying everything than building buildings – thus having a scenario based around strict building conditions would come across as somewhat alien. Still at least having achievements may provide some incentive in playing the Wonder Race scenario.

No comments:

Post a Comment