Friday, October 18, 2013

Mod the Dragon

Here's something I came across recently: A list of worthwhile mods for Dragon Age.

I don't have Dragon Age Origins for the PC: My copy is for the Xbox. However looking at this list it becomes clear that I've been missing out on a lot of worthwhile material.
Now I do indulge in some modding for my PC games but they're for old games like Baldur's Gate 2, Deus Ex and System Shock 2. Thus for the longest time I've seen modding as something of a Catch 22: On one hand, modding is a method to give aging games a new lease of life and to elevate them to a level comparable to more recent games. But on the other hand, there lies the thought that if anyone can mod then one would find a lot of dodgy mods involving a) doing silly things or b) a level of poorly written content on par with fanfiction. Therefore, it then becomes something of a chore to find the mods that are well done and actually worthwhile.

Look at the list though it becomes clear that I've been missing out on a lot. Somehow I thought one couldn't possibly mod something as complex as a recent game- largely due to the resources. I mean, anyone can easily integrate a mod into Baldurs Gate as the necessary dialogue and exposition is all conveyed in text. Therefore for a game like Dragon Age, it presents a monstrous challenge considering the modders are without the resources that the game makers had - Somehow, it seems doubtful that the likes of Claudia Black will be willing to help out some no-name modder and, for me, having everything voiced electronically will break the immersion considerably.
And yet, judging by the list, some people are willing to rise to up to the challenge.
.
Thus it now becomes quite tempting to pick it up the PC version of Dragon Age Origins - but in doing so I'll be throwing away a lot of XBLA achievements and 130 hours of game time. I may recreate my Xbox Grey Wardens but they won't be the same. I can do the same things all over again but you can only that for so long before it gets tiring.
And there is the thought that if I'm committed to obtaining the best possible experience out of particular games then I deserve to ripped off.

1 comment:

  1. yeah the mods are used through Nexus mod manager, which is the same one as the Skyrim mods. User friendly and highly recommended.

    ReplyDelete