Friday, May 25, 2012

Tale of a Game Chest

Today a little story. A story about a box.

No really -  a box I kept my games in. I called it the Game Chest.

As established previously in my blog, back in late 2005, I came across IGN's list of greatest games ever made. I made it my goal to hunt them all down - but with so many games I needed some place to put them all. So in anticipation of one day getting a more powerful computer than the piece of crap I was using at the time, I went down to Big W and purchased a storage box
Yep one of these babies.

Due to the size of the box (along with the contents that would be housed within it), I christened this box the Game Chest.

And so it came to pass that the Game Chest would take up residency at the top of my wardrobe. Whenever a new game was purchased, the box will be brought down and opened up to welcome it's  latest member to it's home.  In that period between 2006 and 2009, I built up a large collection of games, both in the hope of one day using them and, like any collector, building up something worth bragging about.You could open up the game chest and see a whole plethora of games, complete with boxes and manuals.

But the Game Chest couldn't last - In 2009 I moved into a flat for the very first time. Now with the space, and a computer that was actually worth a damn, I started filing my games into small bookcase. And suddenly the box that was the Game Chest now look redundant. It still got some use holding some tools and craft materials but as a holder of games, it's day was done. When I eventually left the apartment, the box was thrown out. Later still, upon being faced with the problem of needing to free up some storage space, many of the game boxes I had were thrown out - with the discs now being stored in a disk wallet.

But isn't the end of the story: You see, late last year I got my current computer: A powerful beast that can finally use all the games I'd accumulated over the years. And earlier this week, I got a brand new hard drive with the sole purpose of staring my games on it. And what did I name this new Hard Drive?
The Game Chest.

Welcome to the family

It may be gone in it's original form, but it is by no means forgotten. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment