Friday, May 18, 2012

Hit that

Well it finally happened - I got hit on in WoW. I was using my hapless mage Naesandra and, somehow, I attracted the attention of a fellow player who started saying weird stuff. Was it legs? I don't know.

I'll explain how this came about: I was wandering through the Northern Barrens when two undead rogues both challenged me to a duel. After getting trounced by both of them, I congratulated them both only for one to respond with 'Thanks Sexy legs'. I then got whispered comments about offering to make babies. Disturbed by this I, on the advice of a friend (thanks Jo!), answered by thanking the player for the offer but turning them down as I prefer chicks. Needless to say,the player didn't say a word afterwards.

This does make for an odd experience - and certainly a story worth telling many times over - but somehow I'm not surprised. After all, I made the decision to create and use a character who is the opposite gender - so in a way it was almost inevitable that I should get mistaken for a female player. Yes a male player using a female character may come across as dishonest but, as stated before, this is the opportunity to develop a character that is different to me in real life - that is, of course, the whole purpose of role playing.

And admittedly I find the female blood elf voice to be far less patronizing than the male counterpart.

No comments:

Post a Comment