Friday, June 18, 2010

Hall of Shame

Watching Good Game last night, I present my very own hall of shame - the games I have left uncompleted:

Actraiser
Castlevania: Rondo of Blood
Dragon Age 2
Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem
Final Fantasy 1
Final Fantasy 4
Final Fantasy 5
Final Fantasy 6
Final Fantasy 7
Gunstar Heroes
Jade Empire
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Metroid Prime
Ninja Gaiden Black
Okami
Paper Mario
Phantasy Star
Sonic and Knuckles
Sonic CD
Sonic the Hedgehog 3
Sonic the Hedgehog 3 with Knuckles
Star Wars Rogue Leader
Super Mario Bros
Super Mario 64
Super Mario RPG
Super Metroid
Zack and Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure

Quite amusing yes but it does raise an interesting question: Why are these games left uncompleted? And so many at that?
Time and Difficulty.
Time, because I have so many games to play. I am spoiled for choice with a number of games to play and it is hard to manage time to play them all. For this reason, I own very few games of current console generation. Why? Because so many games from the previous generations are left unfinished!
Difficulty is my way of playing game until I get to a difficult part - upon which I abandon the game with the intention of returning to it at a later date. But in some cases, that later date is a very, very long time. As such, it's hard to come back to a game only to find that you've been away so long you've completely forgotten just the hell you were doing previously! Other times, it's getting to a point which is quite demanding to the player (does anyone know how to pull off a successful wall jump in Super Metroid?!).

In any case, having this list before me is something of a carrot: I can see what games need attention. This list is a motivator in itself and suggests an interesting sense of self-discipline: No more new games until you complete the one's you've got!

Seems I've a lot of work to do.....

1 comment:

  1. Or discard those you think you'll never realistically be motivated to sit down and play again. That's how I approach the problem, though I won't thrown games out or sell them. The other thing I do is focus solely on 1 game at a time, playing a little each day until I either finish it, or get frustrated or stuck at which point I choose another. Naturally, I too have some games in my dvd wallet I haven't got around to yet...

    Aef

    ReplyDelete