Friday, June 4, 2010

The Conquering of a Super Mario World

Yesterday, I completed Super Mario World. I wouldn't say complete though: I beat Bowser, I saw the ending and 80% completion is good enough for me.


Having spent a childhood wishing I had a SNES, playing SMW on the Virtual Console all the way through, is a new thing for me. I've always enjoyed the Mario games but it's interesting to note how they suck you in: The Mario games I've played start off accessible but then gets fiendishly difficult to the point of loud screaming and controllers being flung across the room. And SMW is no different: Up to Vanilla Dome, I was scoring bonus lives by the truckload. By the time I got around to the Forest of Illusion, I was up to over 80 lives! At first I thought the game was being awfully generous but then i found there is a good reason for this: Those lives? Ya gunna need 'em. Thus, when I was trudging through Chocolate Island and the Valley of Bowser, I was losing lives at a staggering rate (Wendy's Castle is an absolute BITCH!). I lost count on how many times I had to backtrack in order to find power-ups/lives/the long-suffering Yoshi necessary to solve the level.
And there's some areas I need to crack, like Star Road 7 and the Star Road exit from the Twin Bridges area (how one does that I'm still not certain on). No rest for the wicked....

Still, SMW is as just as much fun as it has ever been. You have to feel for poor Yoshi though: He looks like his back will collapse under the weight of the big Mario and he's frequently sent plummeting to his death. Still, he at least got to carry Princess Peach all the way back home (who appeared to be a more appreciative of her steed than Mario ever was) so there's a happy ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment