Friday, March 13, 2015

Do you Sega what I Sega?

Here's something that's been bothering me for a while: How do you pronounce Sega?

When I was a kid, both myself and the people around me always called it by 'SEE-Gar' and no one ever thought any more of it. But such a pronunciation must've been an Australian thing because it is only in recent years that I've heard other people, more often than not from other parts of the world, call it 'SAY-Gar'.
This certainly was a surprise. Which is the correct pronunciation? I've been doing my way for so long it's hard to accept the other way.
One possible way of correct pronunciation, which comes straight from Sega themselves, is the Sega screen in Sonic the Hedgehog - but even that is unclear:

Original video located here. Accessed 13th March 2015

Does anyone know?

No comments:

Post a Comment