Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Hey Ladies

Last week I posted a list of my favourite heroines in gaming. Some o them made the list for different reasons, whether it was strength in personality or having the looks to kill for. But, in coming up with that list, there were some names that didn't make the cut. So, for today, a list of honorable mentions:

Lt. Eva (Command and Conquer: Red Alert 2)
Sonya Blade (Mortal Kombat series)
Lucrecia Crescent (Final Fantasy 7)
Princess Garnet Til Alexandros XVII (Final Fantasy 9)
Oerba Yun Fang (Final Fantasy 13)
Meryl Silverburgh (Metal Gear Solid)

Anyway, now that i think about it, constructing a list of my favourite gaming heroines ultimately makes it one among many here in cyberspace - all of which say the same damn thing. So yes, I certainly have a sense of satisfaction in that I put the effort in and said something different (and it would appear it is possible to make list without mentioning Lara Croft).
The thing is, I am a man (Shut up I am!) and it seems that many of these lists are constructed by men - in an essentially male dominated market. But seeing as female gamers are growing in number and prominence, it makes me wonder - has any of them ever sat down and thought up a similar list?
I for one would like to see a woman gamer do what I did: Sit down and work out a list of their 10 favourite heroines (and/or heroes) and explain why, using personal experiences, analysis to character design, strength of character and potential role-model material. Indeed, it would be interesting to see what the other side of the gender fence think.

The gauntlet has been dropped - any takers?

No comments:

Post a Comment