Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Doomed to Obscurity

Here's something I've been pondering on recently: Has anyone actually played Doom 2 all the way through?

The reason why I'm asking is that my experiences with Doom 2, at the height of it's mid-nineties popularity, is that everyone plays the first three levels before jumping straight into the death match. Whilst there was no denying death matches were fun - they are, after all, what sold Doom 1 and 2 - it does raise the question as to whether or not anyone did play the rest of the game all the way through.
Indeed, I played Doom 2 all the way through recently and saw many things that I did not recall originally - some of which I did not recall from my PS1 playthrough. Why is this so? Is there only so many Doom levels one can take before they all start looking the same? Did we all play the game for five seconds before entering in the cheat codes? Did we get sick of the bizarre level design that we resorted to a rage quit? Or did we just use the level skip just to get to that one Wolfenstein level with the Cyberdemon? (seriously, until recently I never knew there were two Wolfenstein levels).

Most likely it was the deathmatches that had such a powerful sway over gamers that it pretty much destroyed the rest of the game - still it wasn't called a revolution for nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment