Friday, July 12, 2013

Come Out and Play

So with a new Nintendo console comes the announcement that a new iteration of the Super Smash Brothers is on it's way.

The Super Smash Bros series and I have something of a weird history. I became aware of the series through the first title on the N64 - but the first game I played in the series is Melee. But I could not get into it: I've played many fighting games and enjoyed them - even if I've been relying on the time and tested tactic of button mashing. But the Super Smash bros is a series that will have none of that: As such I was both flattened time and time again and puzzled by how the game works (how many hits can this asshole take?! Oh so being knocked out is instant death....). As such it's kind of embarrassing for me to see people who have every character worked out and mop the floor with me.
Still I did end up obtaining Brawl for my Wii and whilst I did have a hard time getting into the swing of things, I did enjoy it (even if I'm no more wiser as to what the hell I'm doing). In addition I also acquired the original Super Smash Bros from the Virtual Console but somehow it didn't really make an impression on me.
Yet somehow it is kind of telling that Brawl, the maligned of the series, is the one that did indeed make a connection with me....

Anywho, with the latest Super Smash Bros, more and more cast members are being teased out as 2014 draws nearer. Yet this is coming in the wake of Brawl which featured a large character roster and reports are indicting that said roster will be trimmed of the less unique characters for the new game. Reports also indicate that deciding which characters get the flick is not a decision made easily.
Personally I'm in two minds over this: On one hand the shortened roster will be easier to keep track of certain faces and remove any duplicate characters. But on the other hand I've used each and every character in Brawl and I don't mind them (except maybe Wario) so somehow having a familiar face been given the boot would be disarming to say the least.
So far we have mainstays Mario, Link, Donkey Kong, Samus, Kirby, Fox and Pikachu. Bowser, Pit and Olimar are also making a return. But in the terms of newcomers we have Mega Man, Villager and Wii Fit Trainer - the latter of course being an odd choice.

Still this is but the early stage - what more will eventuate between now and the release date would be interesting to say the least...

No comments:

Post a Comment