Monday, July 29, 2013

Wii are no longer here any more

This weekend I went to a quiz night. Whilst my team didn't win i did however score a minor victory by answering a tricky spot question. And what did I get for my effort? An envelope of gaming vouchers! Yep, everytime I convince myself I have too many games and I should cease getting more, something comes along that chnages that perception around.

Anyway, the vouchers themselves were for Facebook games, Club Penguin and the Wii. And of course it was the latter that had the greatest sway for me - so I fired up my Wii and went to check it out.

But it must be said: it was damn weird coming back to the Wii in this late hour - when Nintendo have moved on and are now focusing their attention on the Wii-U. The Nintendo Channel is dead and whilst the the Marketplace is still there it is frozen in time - and looks to remain that way. Indeed, in the case of the latter, it is bizarre to see something I spent a lot of time using is now kinda non-existent.
However I suppose that is the toll that time takes, when things are discarded by the wayside by the passage of time. And gaming technology may well be the worst offender seeing how quickly the technology moves and how quickly things are forgotten and subsequently claimed forever. True we be slowing down somewhat with the seventh generation of consoles being the longest yet but in the case of the Wii marketplace, it is weird to see so many games on offer but the audience has since stopped caring.
It is indeed a thought of whether the Marketplace screen will still look the same five or even ten years from how...

No comments:

Post a Comment