Monday, June 17, 2013

A duel at dawn

Does anyone remember an arcade game called Air Duel? No? I do. I remember seeing it in the arcades during the early nineties. Although the game itself was kinda rubbish, the intro itself made something of an impression:


Somehow the image of a giant machine - that looks like it was ripped out of Akira - was fascinating to me. What was it? What did it do? Did it cause the apocalypse that the game's setting is based around? And what was with the rolling doors at the start? Was this machine kept somewhere? Who activated it?
Of course the game itself is a vertically scrolling shooter - one that left little impression on me. But I don't care for a helicopter and a jet fighter battling side by side (?!). I want to know more about this machine! If anything what little is revealed of it in the intro is enough to justify it's own separate game!

And all that just from the title screen.

EDIT:
Since writing my original post I did some research into Air Duel and found out that the machine featured in the title screen is indeed the final boss of the game (to the surprise of absolutely no one).
Thus this revelation does answer some of the questions in my original post but in a way it does seem like a total waste. With such a provocative design presented in such a manner one would do a bit more with it. Therefore the remaining questions still stand.

As it still stands this title screen really needs it's own game

No comments:

Post a Comment