Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Well played

Happy New Year!

I wish I could say that but alas, this new year  for Game Tumour has begun on a sour note: becuase yesterday, it was announced that Good Game, the longest running gaming show in the history of Australian TV, has been given the axe.

I can't contain my disappointment on this one: I've given Good Game my undivided attention every week for years. I may not have agreed with Bajo and Hex's opinions but the content in the show has been, at once, informative, different and engaging. Admittedly last year, there were times when I could feel the show was running out of gas but the ten year anniversary show put such fears to rest, proving there was still a lot left in the tank.

But the disappointing thing about this is that whilst the main show is gone, many of the web-only specials are gone too. This means the only survivor is Good Game Spawn Point: the show catering for a younger audience. In a way, I feel insulted: Contrary to the views of the ABC Management, Gaming is not a 'kids' activity. No, it is something that is enjoyed by adults. Some of whom are parents and enjoy gaming with their children. I thought the diverse range of shows under the Good Game brand would have silenced such an archaic perception but that, unfortunately, doesn't appear to be the case.

Still, I am grateful for Good Game for the many, many episodes produced and which kept giving me an excuse to come back every week. If I hadn't watched Good game I wouldn't have known about many great games and the world is indeed poorer without it.

No comments:

Post a Comment