Monday, October 17, 2011

Apocalypse Then

Last year I made a post commenting about a lack of games in a proper post- apocalyptic setting. In that time I have yet to see a game that does this setting justice. And NO: Having a post-apocalyptic setting just as an excuse to throw some zombies is a HALF-ARSED effort and DOESN’T FUCKING COUNT!!!!

So how would I like to see a post-apocalypse game handled? In the vain hope that someone important is listening (shyeah right), I’ll tell you: I think a post-apocalypse game may be best suited to an adventure game in the Legend of Zelda genre. In fact, the more I think about it, there are elements that have already shown up in the Legend of Zelda series that could work very well with the setting.

It’d just a matter of seeing what will work – so here are some points I’ve noticed through the games I’ve played in the Zelda series:
• One of the touchstones of the Legend of Zelda series is the ideal of exploring – which is what a post-apocalypse essentially should do. How cool would it be to walk through a destroyed world, trying to find something and/or discovering relics of civilisation?
• Another key ingredient in the Legend of Zelda series is to find items and using them to overcome the various problems that lay ahead. Not only would this work in a post-apocalypse setting but it will also raise the stakes somewhat: With civilisation on the collapse, any workable item requires a lot of locating and cherished upon discovery – because it’ll be the only way to win.
• Essentially the world should be a wasteland – a barren land devoid of colour and vegetation. I thought the original Legend of Zelda on the NES was actually surprising in that it presented Hyrule as wasteland with lots of rocks and drab colours. What, am I rescuing a princess of an empty and decrepit kingdom? Now THERE'S an idea…
• The world presented in a post-apocalypse needs to convey a sense of loneliness: like the player is all alone in the world. That way, when enemies show up, it is sudden and the player is kept on their toes. I’ve lost count how many times I’ll be wandering through the Great Field in Ocarina of Time at night only to set upon by those undead critters that come out of nowhere.
• Likewise any potential allies would come in the form of fellow survivors – thus seeing another face in an empty, dangerous world would provoke a feeling of relief and stress the importance of NPCs. I always found it old that the Hyrule in Link to the Past was presented as a bright and colourful world when really there were so few actual residents in the kingdom itself.

I doubt if any big shot game developers will take heed but I’m not too bothered – after all, it’s my money they want.

No comments:

Post a Comment