Friday, October 14, 2011

Under the sea! Under the Sea! There'll be no accusations Just friendly crustaceans...

Recently I've been having a crack at Bioshock. Now this is one game I've been putting off a lot but it's same old argument: I prefer to encounter games in my own time as playing a game with an open mind and zero expectations makes for a experience I can truly call my own. And, pretenses aside, I've been burnt out by games before through going in with expectations high to the point of ridiculous.
Now this may seem odd seeing that I've spoken about Bioshock in the past but that was from the perspective of being on the outside looking in. And, unlike the memes that made/destroyed Portal, my knowledge of Bioshock is rather minimal - apart from the references to objectivism and the works of Ayn Rand scattered throughout the game itself.

But in any case, I went into Bioshock with an open mind as I'm ever going to get so how's it looking so far?

Well so far so good: The plot is gripping, the action intense and it's interesting to see Rapture and explore it it as a city on the verge of collapse. The steampunk setting is great and I particularly like the use of antiqued firearms in a shooter and how they're designed. Sure the turret system is puzzling as apparently steam power can identify the difference between friend and foe but so far everything else seems rather well done. Andrew Ryan makes for a fascinating character and the details of how Rapture came to it's present state are compelling enough.

Of course this is partway into the game - things may change ahead but for now I guess it;s safe to say that all the adulation lauded onto Bioshock came for good reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment