Friday, September 23, 2011

Green Eyed Monster

Being the massive Rock Band fan I am, I recently picked up Green Day Rock Band. I remember when I was teenager I listened to Green Day, and Dookie in particular, a lot so buying this expansion was a real no-brainer.
Of course, there are some questionable absences (where's Walking Contradiction? Waiting? Maria? Stuck With me?), and there are moments to suggest the game being a copy of Beatles Rock Band but the opportunity to include Dookie into my Music Library is still pretty sweet.

But for some reason I don't like the character models. I have mentioned before that I preferred the cartoonish models in RB2 than those in RB3 and it's the same here. In Green Day Rock band, the avatars for Billy Joe, Mike and Tre look hideous and off-putting.
Having said that it does make an interesting counterpoint to Beatles Rock Band. Now whilst I've been playing GDRB on the 360, I have however played through BRB on the Wii. And on the latter, I actually found the models far more pleasing to the eye. Maybe it was the art design or the graphical limitations of the Wii, but I really enjoyed the avatars for John, Paul, George and Ringo and prefer them to those in GDRB.

I guess this proves that the more Harmonix strives for this 'realistic' approach to their graphics, the more off-putting the finished product ends up.

No comments:

Post a Comment