Monday, September 5, 2011

We built this city on Rock N Roll

Recently I picked up Lego Rock Band. It may seem an odd choice but I like the Rock Band series and any excuse to add to my music library is welcome enough. That and it was going for $10 at my local Big W.

Beyond using the export feature I didn't have any plans of actually paying it. But when I realized that there were some cheap Achievements I thought I might have a bash. After it is Rock Band - only populated with smiling yellow dudes.

And then, much to my surprise, I actually found myself enjoying it.
I never played the Lego games because I found them quite a strange concept but this one won me over. True Lego Rock Band will most likely never escape the label of 'kiddie' game but it's still Rock Band. Sure the Lego theme may be a bit puzzling at first but it has some charm to it that can even amuse an adult like myself. Sure there are some odd additions but those that work are quite fun - I quite enjoyed customizing my band HQ and my entourage.

And then there is the soundtrack: It may be catered for younger tastes but there are some diamonds (A-Punk, Breakout, Passenger, Ruby) in amongst the schlock (Real Wild Child [*], Check yes Juliet, Swing Swing, Final Countdown, Walking on Sunshine). Summer of 69 is fun to do (although I'm still not certain how I got a gold star rating for it) but there's far too much emo material for my liking (ie more than zero). And the presence of Korn's cover of Word Up is baffling. Is the only way Korn will get played on Lego Rock band - a sterilized version of the angry Korn of before? [**] Still the continued presence of DLC is welcome and it is indeed fun to see the Lego men performing songs that aren't really kiddie fare (Bad to the Bone, I fought the Law and Charlene).

All in all, Lego Rock Band was indeed a surprise and quite an enjoyable game to play - The additions to the Music Library didn't hurt either.
And hey, I've spent worse $10




[*] Seriously? Johnny O'Keefe must be spinning in his grave
[**] Never heard this cover before playing Lego Rock band but now I wish I hadn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment