Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Go back and do it again

Haven't said much this past week: Mostly becuase it's the Christmas season and this is the time of year people are taking breaks and making the effort to visit family and friends.
Other than that I'm still continuing on with Mass Effect. It seems daft but I'm keen on unlocking all achievements to build a Shepard to take into ME2 and beyond.

The idea of 360 achievements to encourage repeated plays is an interesting one but I have doubts as to whether it is a successful one. Now there is appeal in having game achievements that affect future plays - that is kinda cool. However with Mass Effect, if you play anything like me, it now becomes a challenge to play through multiple times to unlock everything - and for what? The ultimate play through just to prove...something. Much like World of Warcraft being propelled by new quests every week, it's just like Alexander the Great invading India on a regular basis.
I do recall as a child playing Batman on the Commodore 64. Sure I could complete in one sitting but it wasn't the longest game in the world. Conversely, an RPG is something that demands many hours of playtime - perhaps that is why so many Final Fantasy games are listed in my Hall of Shame. Indeed, doing the same thing in Mass Effect is beginning to get tedious to me. Indeed, I have three achievements left (Asari Ally, Extreme Power Gamer and Medal of Valor) and it would indeed be a kick in the nuts if I get to the end of my current play through and not get all of them.

Are achievements really there to be done in the same sitting? I mean to do that, you would have to be keen indeed.

...or least have waaaaaaay too much time on your hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment