Monday, August 23, 2010

Lets talk about you and me

Just came back from a week away in Melbourne, attending the prestigious anime convention Manifest! Had a great time and the events I ran proved to be quite popular.

Also, I was staying at a friend's place where myself and my partner bore witness to her playing Mass Effect 2. Being familiar with Bioware's other RPGs, namely Baldur's Gate and Star Wars KOTOR, I was intrigued. My partner, who'd played Dragon Age Origins, was also keen. Indeed, now I have even more motivation to go out and get a 360.

Interestingly, the Bioware RPG tradition of having romantic sub-plot continues. However this, time something seems a tad different: Now the male characters face themselves with slim pickings.
Allow me to explain: In Baldur's Gate 2, the male player characters had a choice of three candidates for a romance sub-quest: Aerie, a waifish elf of good alignment and gentle characteristic; Jahiera, a half....elf being of a neutral nature and a crabby disposition; and Viconia, a drow....elf who was evil and favoured strength. Conversely, the female player characters had to settle for Anomen, an whingeing, whining, arrogant sod who doesn't have issues - no, he has lifetime subscriptions. It makes you wonder what the female player characters did to have such little choice.



Then came Star Wars KOTOR. There the party was smaller but there was till room for romantic sub-quests even if the choices were slim: the male player characters had the courageous Jedi Bastilla Shan whilst female player characters had to settle for the insufferable Carth! It makes you wonder, if Bioware were heeding the female gamer demograph at all.
But they must've becuase in Dragon Age Origins, female player characters finally had decent character to latch onto for a romantic sub-quest in the form of Alistair (and in some cases Zevran and Leliana). And Alistair is a very a good choice - or at least my partner thinks so. It makes for an interesting counter-balance as the male player characters may find themselves hitting on Morrigan - and with a sexy voice like that, how can one refuse? (even if she does put a bra on to have sex)

But noticing Mass Effect 2, there doesn't seem to much choice for a romantic partner for male player characters. Miranda? Didn't work for me with her disagreeable personality and for sounding like someone from Home and Away (or at least that's what my friend thinks). Tali? She has a weird voice from an equally weird headgear. Jack? Mmmmmmm.............Naaaaaahhhhh.
But interestingly enough, the characters I like in the Mass Effect party are those available for a romantic sub-quest for the female player characters. Namely Thane, Jacob and, of course, Garrus.
So it strikes me that the tables have been turned: Now the female player characters are spoiled for choice whilst the male player characters find themselves caught short.
Still, this assessment is based on impressions built from watching someone play Mass Effect. Thus, this is subject to change - I mean who knows? Maybe over the course of playing the game, my mind could change.

No comments:

Post a Comment