Monday, August 16, 2010

Smash it up

Recently I have been using my Wii for a Wii game (shock! horror!) - the game in question being Super Smash Bros Brawl. Good lord, has there ever been a game that has split opinion? Everyone was excited by it's arrival but, since then, the hype has died down and now many Nintendo fanboys are quick to dismiss it as the bastard offspring of a distinguished lineage. Still, there's no denying that it certainly is a crowd pleaser when you have a group of people around.

Anywho, I've returned to Super Smash Bros Brawl after a long absence. Reason being, I have discovered there is a lot of things I have left unlocked and should be worth making an effort into rectifying this.

But this is Super Smash Bros we're talking about.
Where such an undertaking is easier said than done.

To be honest I have played numerous fighting games but the Super Smash Bros series didn't really do much for me. Why? Becuase I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing! True I may be button mashing but for a reason: it works. Thus, when it comes to the challenges, I am staggered in disbelief as whether such a thing is possible. So to unlock Captain Falcon in the original Super Smash Bros, you need to beat it in under 20 minutes?! Are you SERIOUS?!?!? Can such a thing be possible?!
And it continues in Super Smash Bros Brawl, where even more achievements are on offer but it takes an effort that seems superhuman. I mean I COULD take the time to master the game but to me it undermines the 'Casual' appeal that makes Super Smash Bros Brawl worthwhile.

But then again, a Nintendo game wouldn't a Nintendo game if it didn't keep you on your feet and make you challenge the way you play.

No comments:

Post a Comment