Monday, August 9, 2010

Ogre Kingdom

I live in Australia - a country that apparently doesn't matter. Thus, when the US gets Chrono Trigger, we instead get Terranigma. And when Final Fantasy Tactics comes the the PS1 and the PS3, we get snubbed. Thus in order to fill a hole, one has to look elsewhere.

Thus I've been playing Ogre Battle 64 recently. It may not be the first SRPG I've played (Shining Force 2 instead has that distinction) but it certainly is a lot of fun. I have a liking for RPGs and Strategic games so a hybrid is a welcome one to say the least. I mean what have you got? Sure there's Shining Force 2 and even Chronicle of the Sword (Urghh!) from Soul Calibur 3. Still at least what little there is, is of very high quality.

Initial impressions were crummy with the controls and menu systems taking some getting used to (I've played RPGs that are easier to get into than this!) but once you get the hang of it, it is actually heaps of fun. Indeed, it is interesting to see the fingerprints of Ogre Battle 64 on the afore-mentioned Chronicles of the Sword.

All in all, Ogre Battle 64 is lot's of fun and I look forward to playing more of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment