Monday, November 18, 2019

Thirteen years of service

In saddening news, I have retired my PS2 after thirteen years of loyal service.

It was 2006 that I purchased my PS2. At that point in time, the sixth generation was on the way out  so it may be strange of my to buy a console that was facing obsolesce. But what did it matter? I had the money, I wanted a console so i got a silver slimline PS2.
From, there I spent countless hours on that machine. I built up a formidable library of games, both PS2 and PS1, and discovering games that had passed me by years earlier. I took it with me when visiting friends' places, where it got plenty of shared use, and when I moved house. The PS2 may be the best-selling console of all time but my experiences are unique to me than the many other people who owned one. And whilst I purchased more consoles in the years to come, I never lost sight of my old friend.

Ultimately, however this has been a day that has been coming given that gaming technology is continually moving at a pace where it's difficult to keep up. Far too easily is something cast aside for something new. Indeed, it's a sobering thought that hours spent on one console can be erased with ease. Sure, I can play Final Fantasy X on Steam now but it's a far different experience when compared to firing it up for the first time on a PS2 after years absent from gaming.

Still, I will forever acknowledge the PS2 for the games it gave me, the times I spent using it and it being the endpoint of a drought and the true beginning of me as a gamer

.......So Long Old Friend......

No comments:

Post a Comment