Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Parting ways

Here's something I chanced upon during my Christmas break: the Japanese commercial for the Final Fantasy X/2 revamp.

For the curious, the text in the beginning of the commercial says, "We are fated to someday part with the person we hold most precious", and the narration at the end of the commercial says, "The world is full of partings and farewells. So I'd want to cherish someone who is next to me now."

 I have no idea how I should be reacting to this ad: At first, I was snickering at the cheesiness of this ad and then it occurred to me that in amongst all that cheesiness there was a sense of sincerity.
I know some ads can provoke an emotional response but.....no wait this isn't one of them at all! Too much cheese and making no effort whatsoever to hide it.

But what I got the most from this ad is a sense that I'm still not in any way convinced to buy this new version of FFX. For, if anything, my one and only playthrough involved some careful use and intricate planning with the sphere grid and I'M NOT GOING BACK!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment