Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Raptr Preservation

Yeah it's Halloween so what have I got up my sleeve for this evening? Something completely unrelated! Ha!

Anywho, it's been a week since I started using Raptr. In that time I've notched up over a thousand hour of game time.
Of course, this is only through me going back over my game files, over several consoles, and adding them to my Raptor profile. Thus the 1000+ hours is the product of seven years not seven days (so you can kindly cease typing out that email denouncing me as a loser).

Why go to all this trouble? Well I like the idea that this, Raptr, is there to serve as a record for one's gaming achievements - and not just XBLA achievements/PSN Trophies. I like the idea of Raptr being evidence of doing such things and it serving as a record that may last for years to come. Of course that may not turn out that way but I do like the idea of it being set in stone. Who knows? You come back in several years time and think: Yep, I did that :)

However me going back over my old gaming files does ultimately defeat the purpose of the reward system that Raptr is plugging. The rewards system seem more focused on more recent games not on the classics. There there is really nothing really gained from me putting in so much hours for classic eighties/nineties games. Still I must admit that it's kinda nice to be ranked the no.1 player for Adventures of Lolo, Final Fantasy 1, Secret of Mana, Super Mario Bros 3, Ogre Battle 64, and Burnout 3.

Of course the 1000 hours are the time-frames that I've been able to recover on my PS2, Wii and 360. I have invested many hours in other games on other gaming platforms but they're sadly lost to time. Indeed, I'd like to know how many hours I've blown in Baldurs Gate. However I don't WANT to know how many hours I've sunk in World of Warcraft....

No comments:

Post a Comment