Friday, November 26, 2010

Wii are one but Wii are many

I was expecting a tonne of nasty comments to my last post but none such came. No matter: Guess I'll keep rambling on in the vain hope that someone else is listening.

Anyway, I've noticed there seems to be a lot of contempt for the Wii. It is indeed strange considering that, so far, the Wii has outsold both the PS3 and the Xbox 360. What, didn't the console wars end? I thought they were over now that many gamers these days own more than one console and many gamers waking up to the fact that ignoring a particular console may result in missing out on something good.
But I'd be a fool to think such puerile nonsense.

I find it kind of strange that people are turning on Nintendo with such venom. This are the people who pretty much broke out from the Post-Atari crash with the NES, wrote the rulebook for game design, and gave us such iconic characters such as Mario, Link, Samus and Donkey Kong. It begs the question, what went wrong? Why the sudden change of heart? I do recall Nintendo's fanbase being quite passionate during the early/mid-nineties to the point of ruthlessly mocking the Sega fanboys (like myself) but it is interesting to see such passion turn against the seemingly untouchable Nintendo.

Some would say that Nintendo's fanbase has grown up and moved onto pastures new. I beg to differ: I use my Wii for the Virtual Console and many games I recall from my childhood still hold up pretty well. Even games I never played manage to maintain my interest - which of course, goes to show that a well-designed game can still weave it's magic when the console it appears on has long since gone obsolete.



Some are unimpressed with the motion controller. I read that Nintendo aren't interested in competing against Microsoft and Sony in the technological department so, instead, they are looking for new ways to play games. It may sound like a good idea in theory but really, what is going to achieved via taking away the tenuous link between gamer and console? Taking it away kinda defeats the purpose of games being a fun way to relax.
True I can understand the contempt between motion controller but I'll give Nintendo credit: At least they're trying something new. It may not be a successful idea but at least they realise that graphics aren't going to get any better so a new approach could well be necessary.

Some are cross that the Wii is attracting the unlikeliest of gamers with pensioners and mothers. I never understood the distinction between casual and hardcore gamers. People are just playing games! Who gives two shits HOW they go about it? If anything the distinction exists just for snobbery and elitism. The way I see it, people playing games is a way to connect with people in social situations and make friends. Isn't that how people bond - over a common interest? Who cares if people take different approaches to the same task? Again, this is the case of doing something for fun and how much time can be spared.

Some are annoyed by the lack of quality software for the Wii. I personally never have this problem as I'm far too busy using my Wii for a virtual console. True, some people may be annoyed that people like me may be encouraging Nintendo to rely on past glories instead of inspiring development of something new but, again, if a game is well-designed it can, and will, be played for many years afterward.

But I must admit, some of these factors, however supposed, against Nintendo aren't very promising: A console outdone by more powerful rivals? A catalog of games that comes across as underwhelming? Franchises that are milked to a point where consumers are left unimpressed? A game developer focusing on the glory days when it's clear are those days are lost in a bygone era?
Didn't all these things happen to Sega?

No comments:

Post a Comment