Friday, November 18, 2016

Back to the store Wii go

Recently, on a bit of a whim, I decided to fire up my aging Wii and see if the store is still going.
And much to my surprise, it still is. The games are still there and even the Wii points I have attached to my account.

I suppose this would come to a surprise to me as I've lost track of Nintendo in recent years. I figured the services provided by the Wii would've been cast by the wayside with the advent of the Wii U but no: Apparently, the Wii Shop Channel is still going - seems that whilst the Wii U offers backward compatibility in the form of Wii Mode, not all games featured in the Wii Shop Channel are also on the Nintendo eShop. Hence the Wii Mode acts as a method of taping into those missing games.

It does seem amusing to me to have this service still providing games when it has been, to some extent, forgotten by Nintendo. Nevertheless, considering the divided nature of the Nintendo's online services, as described above, there seems to be something of a time limit attached to the games available to the Wii Shop Channel. Will they be eventually be absorbed by the Nintendo eShop or will they discarded for good? And how will this work with the looming Nintendo Switch?

It may be a romantic idea that I will continue to use my Wii to play the games I want but, like most thing's it has an expiry date. And the question rests on what Nintendo, who are the type to reluctant to admit that there did exist people purchased the Wii for the Virtual Console, will do once that dates rolls around....

No comments:

Post a Comment