Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Castlevania: Ten Years On

Lately I've been playing a lot of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. It's a classic game I played to death back in 2006 during the glory days of my PS2 era but now I'm enjoying it on the XBLA and in full HD.

So how does the game look from the distance of ten years since I first played it?

To begin with, let's establish what Castlevania: Symphony of the Night meant for me: As you may have guessed from the years listed, I came to Castlevania: Symphony of the Night nearly a full decade after it was released. My reasoning was simple: I finally got a PS2, it could play PS1 games so why shouldn't I indulge in games that passed me by the first time around?
But really what I can say about Symphony of the Night that hasn't been said already? It completely revamped the series, it took steals from Metroid, it was a definitely 2D platformer when everyone was heading into the realms of 3D, and it boasts, without question, one of the finest game soundtracks ever conceived.

But what I will say is that game has aged remarkably well - and that's a statement I do not give out lightly when discussing the fifth generation. Symphony of the Night's 2D nature has served it very well: Whereas many 3D models of the fifth generation look blocky and hideous nowadays, the 2D graphics of Symphony of the Night look simply beautiful. And that certainly was a HD revamp highlights: Why, thanks to the HD graphics, I'm now picking up I never noticed before: I'm noticing just how detailed the animation for the Swordmaster power (Iron shield+Shield rod) is. And to apply such detail in a 'blink and you'll miss it' animation is something to be commended.

Other than that, the game is still as fun as ever and the soundtrack is still fantastic. Not much else i can add expect to say I guess this would be a textbook example of how to make a game that lasts.

No comments:

Post a Comment