Monday, May 12, 2014

Completing the job

It's a question all gamers are asked: Are you a completionist? Do you spend hours in game seeking out every nook and cranny convinced that doing so would result in the game being truly beaten?

I would have to say yes. I do consider myself as completionist.
Why is this so? Well I think there are a number of reasons - reasons that can be divided into the familiar and the personal.
The familiar reasons are the kind one has most likely heard before in the form of:
- being a completionist is a justification of making a costly game last.
- being a completionist can yield an achievement and yields the evidence to back up any claims made by the gamer
- If a game is awesome enough, it is worth the trouble
- It's you, the gamer, affirming you love for the game in question.

That being said, what do the personal reasons have to say for themselves?
Well, as established previously in this blog, I spent most of the nineties with an Amiga 1200. And as there were little games available for it, the few games I had were offset with demo disks from magazines - the type of demos that showed a promising game but was to be forever out of my reach. So I had to make do - by playing the one level of a game I longed to play. It may sound pathetic but such limitations made me investigate every inch of the gaming space I was provided. After all, if the demo was there then it made sense to make it last.


But ultimately, I believe completionists exist because, as stated above, if the gamer loves the game enough then it is within their right to express it.

2 comments:

  1. Speaking of completionists, $90 plus a sub fee of $15 each month seems a lot to pay for a game you're only gonna pay like once or twice a week...

    ReplyDelete