Friday, March 28, 2014

Back to the wall

My follower counter has grown significantly this past week. To those newcomers, welcome aboard and I'm glad you stopped by to hear me waffle on. Oh and I did I mention I have another blog as well as this one?

Anyway, rumors are floating that Sony will release software for the PS4 that will, hopefully, allow PS1 and PS2 games to be run on the PS4.
These are, of course, mere rumors but the prospect being offered here is indeed tantalizing: To have four console generations worth of games to be played on the singular machine would be a pleasing prospect and, more importantly, it may give me a singular point of interest in the eighth console generation.

As established previously, I did not buy a PS3 as I felt betrayed by a lack of backwards compatibility - Sony's indifference to the customer complaints didn't help matters. This in turn led me abandoning the PlayStation and defecting to the Xbox 360.
But with this rumor circulating, even if it is rumor, a question has arisen: Was a 360 worth it?

In previous generation, having multiple consoles wasn't uncommon. As long as one had the cash and wanted to play certain games, having more than one console was a feasibility. However, in this digital age, we have DLC, player profiles and so many methods to customize our console the way we see fit. Thus we seem to have reverted back to the 'one console only' line of thought. Indeed, why buy another console when you can do so much on the one you already have?

So it ultimately comes down to the games. So lets break down my Xbox game collection for a minute:

I have:
18 360 games
22 games downloaded from XBLA (including 2 original xbox games)
2 original Xbox games

7 of the XBLA games are 360 exclusive, 1 of the Xbox games is also an exclusive but only one of the 360 games is a 360 exclusive. And even that is barely played.

Meaning that (nearly) one fifth of my game Xbox game collection is confined only to the Xbox.

But, as stated before, this analysis is based solely on a rumor. Whether or not it turns out to be fact will prove if acquiring a 360 turned out to be a waste....

Ultimately however it comes down to what is felt in the heart - do I regret buying a 360 and investing all those hours playing games that be easily obtained on other system?
Of course I bloody well don't :)

2 comments:

  1. What're your thoughts on the Steam console promised soon? And your other blog - I had a quick look - about 5 minutes - and will take more time to read more thoroughly but there were some evocative images there and very strong emotions. Stick with it. I will let a couple of writers I know that your work is out there. Only commenting on this blog atm - time constraints over some database. You know how it is...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the idea of a Steam console redundant: I use Steam on my computer and it does what i want it to do. Plus I find the best console games are those that make the best use of the controller. Indeed, i like using Steam for point and click adventures and Age of Empires - which are, of course, tricky to play with something that isn't a mouse

    ReplyDelete