Monday, April 29, 2013

A lesson in sharing

I never really understood why Blizzard, upon the release of Mists of Pandaria, chose to merge all achievements across all the Player's characters.

Prior to this I enjoyed having multiple characters and each of them are doing different things. They evolved in completely different ways and frequently surprised me (as all good characters should do to their creator).
Now however, all my characters share the same achievements. If there isn't one they haven't got, it will be noted as being achieved by someone else - much like the carrot that is dangled in front of the donkey to make him haul the cart. If there was a sense of individuality, it's gone for good.

And that's what really sucks - in terms of gaining achievements throughout Azeroth my characters are now all facsimiles of each other. Granted I can see the benefit of not having to do certain tasks over and over again but somehow whatever character my characters may have built up is now gone. Naesandra rated highly in cooking - now somehow all my characters are all expected to follow suite. Indeed, it does look artificial that my character earn an achievement for something they never did.

So is that what this is? A guilt trip courtesy of Blizzard? Or just another method of making sure you keep playing?

No comments:

Post a Comment