Wednesday, April 24, 2013

East vs West

Regular visitors to this blog would know that I’m something of a connoisseur when it comes to RPGs. So the big question then is: Which do I prefer out of Western RPGS or JRPGs?

Much like any tribe, it would seem that there is no overlap: It’s either one or the other. My experience has shown that people raised on Dungeons and Dragons think JRPGs are inane whilst people who grew up with Final Fantasy tend to have little to no time for anything else.

But if the logic of 'the first one is the best one' was true then I’d lump in with Western RPGs. I grew up playing Pool of Radiance on the Commodore 64 and it in turn got me interested in Dungeons and Dragons. It proved to be my gateway drug to fantasy and as a result, set me on a path to seek out familiar material – eventually leading to reading Fighting Fantasy, Chronicles of Narnia, Dragonlance and Lord of the Rings.
However that logic isn't always the case: You see what appeals to me about RPGs is more or less a replication I had when I was a child: Taking a group of heroes together and go kicking some arse in various forms: Visiting interesting locations, smashing the face in of anything dumb enough to stand in your way, growing stronger with each step, building a bond with the dudes in your party, and, well, saving the world (true many games of the era did that but only in RPGs did it present a time investment that actually felt like the effort was worth it). This may sound like nostalgia but ultimately any RPG whether from the East or West, seems to follow the same formula – it only becomes matter of how this formula can be utilized.

So what do I like about Western RPGs? I enjoy roaming around Tolkien-inspired environments, with quasi-medieval elements merged with huge monsters. I enjoy a high quality of narrative and writing that always accompanies Western RPGs. I like being an elf, complete with long hair and pointy ears. I enjoy making decisions that actually have an effect and shape the world around me. I like leading a large party of dudes (large party as in more than two) through one battle after another. I like storming into a final dungeon made to look like an extension of hell loaded with demons galore. I like seeing, and interacting with, worlds that had been from straight from the pages of Tolkien. If anything I like seeing the Dungeons and Dragons rule-set being replicated in gaming form.
That being said, is there anything I don't like about Western RPGs? Why yes: They all seem to drawing from Tolkien playbook that it gets really tiresome to see the same tropes used over and over again. Also if you, like, play enough Bioware RPGs you soon realize that they're all formulaic - come on: you can't tell me that Mass Effect, Dragon Age Origins and Stars Wars KOTOR aren't running on the same blueprint.Indeed, it is rare to see one break from the formula - and rarer still to see one do so successfully (as the fans of Planescape Torment will attest).

So what does the JRPG offer to me then? Well for a start they offer a lot on technical level: I love the use of bright colours that I wouldn't see otherwise in a Western RPG. I love seeing environments that are inventive in their design. I love being swept up in a continually gorgeous soundtrack. Anything beyond that? Well, I do like how many JRPGs treat their characters and put effort into writing for them. And say what you like cinematics in a JRPG you can't deny that they're done very well. And if anything I appreciate JRPGs for being (for most of the time) an antithesis for the gritty Tolkien-inspired Western RPGs.
So then, what don't I like about JRPGs? Oh where do I start? For one, I find they don't offer a sense of non-linearity - you go in a different direction than the one the computer wants you to go in and computer gets all sulky. For two, there is very little freedom on offer when compared to Western RPGS - you're not making lasting decisions, no you're just prodding a character along a predetermined route. For three, whilst JRPGs may look great on a technical level most of it comes at the expense of the actual game part of the game. For four (?) I don't like many of the enemies in JRPGs because, more often than not, they look stupid and have equally silly names that one wonders if they're there to be taken seriously.  Finally, through playing numerous JRPGs, there is the realization that they're all trying to be Final Fantasy. And don't say they're aren't lest I call upon the bullshit police. I've seen attempts to replicate the formula that made Final Fantasy work in both the likes of Phantasy Star and Skies of Arcadia. And even then Final Fantasy originated as a variation on the DnD rule-set. In fact I can't think of any areas where the formula needed improving - which may account for why little has been done with the JRPG genre since.

So in the end what can I conclude from this post? Well I can say that I see these two forms of RPGs as beverages: Western RPGs are like a fine wine and JRPGs are like red fizzy cordial - both of them are nice but there's a time and place for each of them and they're not to be conusmed all at once.
Yeah lets go with that

No comments:

Post a Comment